Sunday 2 June 2013

Blah, summer schlummer!




I have somewhat of a problem next week. As you may have read in my previous blog posts, I am a furniture making student and whereas most students look forward to their summer break, I am dreading it.

I have 10 terrible weeks away from woodworking....or do I?

I have several non-woodworking commitments I have to dedicate myself to throughout the summer break such as continuing my Swedish language course, a wedding and oh yeah...I need to renovate my apartment!

I need to prioritise my Swedish course as I receive a student loan for that and we’ve all got to eat!

The apartment is a long term project and takes second place because after eating, I need somewhere to live.

Then comes my brother-in-law’s wedding which will be a welcome break in between the Swedish course and big push in the apartment.

Excitingly, I was offered the opportunity of working for Ikea in their prototyping workshop for a few weeks this summer but it would have been unpaid work and that would directly interfere with my ability to buy food and eat it.

It’s a shame that I need to eat because it would have been especially awesome to gain some experience making prototypes but, fingers crossed, I might get the opportunity again next summer.

So what woodworking can I blog about this summer?

I don’t think blogging about framing walls would be very interesting and the less said about plasterboard, the better.



Here’s what you can look forward to this summer!

  • A-Team style limited tool projects – Not having a workshop full of tools is going to be hard but I love it when a plan comes together!
  • Tool review – With so much to do in the apartment I might need to buy a new toy tool!
  •  Project showcase – With one year completed and one year to go, I have a backlog of projects to show.
  • Articles – I have some interesting articles planned and a collaboration article with a fellow woodworker to look forward to!
So it seems like the summer won’t be such a bummer after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment